Saturday, November 12, 2005

Disgusted

I have just finished reading an article in the Good Weekend. I am disgusted.

Following is some extracts from the article titled: “Tips for a top formal”

“I know what’s good for you, so below is my guide to your school formal with very important tips on fashion, boys, beauty, being a slut, drinking, sex, formal behaviour and so much more.”

PRE-FORMAL ISSUES
“It’s really important (especially for the less-hot girls) to get a hot date as SOON as possible. […] Don’t be embarrassed to ask too early. But choose carefully, ‘cause some guys change heaps and can get seriously fugly in their late teens.”
“This might sound weird but it’s really cool to take, like, a disadvantaged person to your formal. If you go with a hot disabled guy or a hot black guy you will totally get heaps of attention and it’ll make you look really caring. When I say disabled I don’t mean like Down syndrome or something, I mean like a hot guy in a wheelchair.”


DOES EVERYONE GO?
“If you’re a nerd, a goth, a fat chick, an Asian (excluding hot Asians) or a lesbian, you’re basically not welcome.”


DRESS
“Whatever you choose, it’s important to look elegant, feminine and a little bit like a slut. […] It’s also a good idea to keep an eye on what your friends are planning to wear. You don’t want them to look hotter than you. Advise them to wear a really fugly colour and lie about how good it looks on them.”
“Wear a ribbon for a charity. Fold a random piece of ribbon and pin it to your dress. It makes you look really compassionate and caring. If you don’t know of any causes, just make one up. Hurricane Katrina is still really cool, so say it’s for that.”


THE BIG NIGHT
“Okay, you have to get smashed at the pre-formal party. There is no alcohol at the formal, remember, so you have to be drunk enough to last until the after-party.”
[it then gives information on what to drink in order to get drunk quickly and how to smuggle alcohol into the formal]


FORMAL ENDS
“This is point in the night where you ditch the guy you came with. He has usually served his purpose by now and you will not get any hotter guys cracking onto you if he’s hanging around. […] If he’s the wheelchair guy you can really easily lose him in a crowd. Another good reason to go with him.”
-Good Weekend (Sydney Morning Herald Publication) 12th Nov 2005 page 33-34

Is this really what we are feeding our teenagers? I know that this magazine’s demographic pitch is 20-30’s. But still.
Is this the type of morality that we want to promote to our teenagers? I know that this article is meant as a bit of a laugh and a joke (well at least I hope that it is), but these views must really be out there for it to be written at all.

Am I overreacting?

9 comments:

Trinette said...

I don't think that you're overreacting B ... I can't believe that they can say that sort of stuff in an article - especially considering the language!
But consider the state of our world today, and the degree that it has fallen in such a small amount of time. I have recently stopped listening to a certain radio station because of their outward promotion of a homosexual marriage of one of their co-workers. They are using it as a promotional tool. They have even gone to the extent of writing a petition to government demanding the legalisation of homosexual marriages. The new radio station that I turned to lasted a day until I switched them off - they were running a poll on whether or not it is acceptable and 'cool' to take a same sex date to your formal.
I'm afraid we live in a sinful and broken world and the rate at which things continue to degrade get worse scares me.
And B, if this article was a joke ... I'm not laughing!
Now enough of my essay writing so I can get back to those books!

Trinette said...

Just bought the paper B and read the whole article - it is meant as a joke. This guy has a show on the ABC where he dresses as different characters and plays out their life. This is just one of his characters who is a high school aged girl. Even though this is a joke - I am surprised and discussed that they should print such a thing! I'm with you on this one B!

-bw said...

Hey Trin (and others),
yeah, I did a bit more reading on the net and realised that this is meant to be a joke. But it really doesn't make me laugh. I'm glad you're with me on this one.

It doesn't make me laugh, in fact, it makes me sick the way that it has blatantly in print, been racist and discriminatory.
There are some things that I just don't think you can treat the way this article does.

Anonymous said...

I didnt get the paper today and I'm horrified!!!

Justin Bull said...

have we lost all appetite for satire? can we not better appreciate society's ills through parody?

what is more dangerous; the offensive, or the prohibition of offensive material?

Anonymous said...

i think that satire needs to be handled well, and i don't think this article does it at all. this isn't a sophisticated satire, it's a blatant statement of how corrupt our world is, almost with a snigger. it might be poking fun at it all, but kind of with a sly wink.

- Seumas

-bw said...

Hey jb welcome to my blog.

Yes Seumas I have to agree, this piece of work is dismal satire. And I can see how it is poking fun at society.

I agree with certain levels of censorship. That is why we have ratings on movies, codes for TV shows, and certain time slots when things can and cannot be shown. I agree that there is a time and a place where articles like this can be published, but I don't believe that it should be in a weekend paper magazine which a ten year old has access to.

Nan0c said...

Thought I'd wade in at this point. It's the sort of poorly aimed purile satire I've come to expect from the SMH. That in of itself says many many things, none of which are good.

-bw said...

"It's the sort of poorly aimed purile satire I've come to expect from the SMH. That in of itself says many many things, none of which are good."

LOL
yes but I always thought it was that other paper which held the reputation for pitching itself at an 8 year olds reading level! Hence I was suprised to see the SMH dropping its, well, should I say 'standards'.
Maybe I just don't read the weekend paper enough to see what trash in actually in there.