Saturday, April 22, 2006

grief

This morning I went to a baby shower. It was lovely. I share in the joy of so many families. There are so many friends there who are expecting over the next few weeks.

Here at college, the topic of infertility is often raised. We pray for those who may be struggling with the grief that infertility brings. I think this is really important. But this concern and compassion is always aimed at couples that struggle with those things. I want to say: singles struggle with the grief of infertility too.

Christian singles struggle with the knowledge that they may never even have the opportunity to even try to have a baby. The grief that a single person feels may be different than that of a married person, but it is still grief.

It is grief that may mean that there isn’t anyone around to share with. There may not be anyone to talk to about it, to weep with you, to hug you, or to comfort you. I think it is important to acknowledge that grief is there. To hide it and bury is not good. To do that can lead to a deep-rooted bitterness and anger toward God, the world, and others.

I am content in my single state. I believe that God has me exactly where he wants me. I still have struggles and I still have grief. That is ok.

It is ok to have grief as a single. It is ok to have struggles. BUT, when we allow our struggles or grief to turn into discontent, when we allow them to turn into a thing that rules our lives, a thing that consumes us, it is a bad thing. We need to be content in God’s goodness and His sovereignty. After all, He is the loving creater and ruler of this world. He created you and me. He knows us better than we know ourselves. AND, He is control of each and every thing that happens!

Today I grieve that I do not have either a husband or child.

But today I will pray that my life will be honouring to God.
I will pray that my life will reflect His love.
I will thank God that He loves me so much that He sent Jesus to die for me.
I will take joy and delight in giving glory to God.

1 comment:

David said...

I've always been encouraged by the promise of Mark 10:30.