Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Finally - an author on my wavelength!

As some of you know, I have been researching for my project on singleness. Finally I have come across an author who is on my wavelength. Most of the books I have read have either been about 'what to do whilst waiting', or have been a whinge about life, or have been completely dry.
One of the books that Paso sent me the other day was this.
Now maybe I am preempting at this point as I am only 10 pages in, but so far I am finding it an excellent read.
Most of my thinking has the underlying presupposition of contentment. Contentment that is found in the realisation that God is sovereign and God is good. So to read this has been an excitement.

Ultimately, we are single because that's God's will for us right now. That's it. It's not because we are too old, too fat, too short, too quiet, too loud, too smart, too simple, too demanding, or too anything else. It's not wholly because of past failures or sin tendencies. [...] it'd not because the men we know lean toward passive temperaments. It's not because there are more women than men in our singles group. It's not because our church doesn't even have a singles group. Though perhaps these things seem like valid reasons, they don't trump God's will. [...] We are single today because God apportioned us this gift today.

One more thought: I've often heard married people say to singles that we won't get married until we are content in our singleness, but I humbly submit this is error. I'm sure that it is offered by well-meaning couples who want to see their single friends happy and content in God's provision, but it creates a works-based mentality to receiving gifts, which can lead to condemnation. The Lord doesn't require that we attain a particular state before He grants a gift. We can't earn any spiritual gift any more than we can earn our own salvation. It's all of grace. However, we should humbly listen to our friends and receive their input about cultivating contentment; we just shouldn't attach it to the expectation of a blessing.


Carolyn McCulley, Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye - Trusting God with a Hope Deferred (Illinois: Crossway Books, 2004), 30

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm honored Paso gave you this book. It's been a real treat to have him here Stateside. His enthusiasm for Christ and His church is contagious!

-bw said...

Hi Carolyn,
thanks for dropping by. I was so excited when I heard about what Paso was doing. I hope he is an ecouragement to all those he meets while he is in the States.

I was stoked when he sent me your book and would love to have a chat with you sometime about it.

In Christ,
-b