Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mission Day 7 - High School and Chinese Food

A Red Goanna photographed at Karijini National Park.

Thursday filled me with some excitement and also trepidation. We were heading into the high school for the day.

I had hung out with some of the teenagers throughout the week which was good. It meant that by the time Thursday rolled around, I knew a few of the kids who would be there.
I had some trepidation because we were under quite strict guidelines about what we could and couldn't do and say. In NSW we are truly blessed that we are able to go in to schools and teach about the good news of Jesus. In WA (much like many other states in Oz), we were only granted entry into the school if we agreed to teach on certain things. We were teaching on the meaning of Easter. We weren't allowed to pray or lead in prayer or make any attempt to call for a response.
I MC'd with one of the guys and shared my story about what Easter has meant for me and how it has changed my life. I struggled with the restrictions as I would normally call for a response. But it made me appreciate all the more what a privilege and opportunity it is to share the gospel with teenagers.

We had been warned that the high schoolers were a pretty rowdy bunch and were often rude and don't listen. The minister of the church we were on mission with is also the chaplain at the school. He said that he had been to events where the kids talked throughout the entire program. All in all, I have to say that they were pretty good. In fact I was amazed.

But the most amazing thing was God reminding me that it is his work, not mine. By the time the third seminar group had rolled around, I was feeling on a bit of a roll. But the group wasn't all that responsive. In fact as I was speaking there were a group of girls in the front row who spent most of the time giggling and whispering. Needless to say, I walked away from that seminar feeling a little flat.
We were due to have a lunch break before the last group.
As I was trudging along to get some lunch one of the guys on team came up to me and said: "how good was that"
I said: "yeah, it was ok. how was your discussion group" (we broke them up into discussion groups after the talk)
He said: "one of the girls in my group said to me: 'I really believe now. I'd heard the stories before, but I'd never really believed, and that girl spoke about it like it is real. I think I really believe it now"

How humbling. We can walk along thinking and planning and making sure everything is perfect, but it surely is in our weaknesses that God is working.

We got through the day and later that night a few of us went to the Chinese Takeaway for dinner. The food was great (albeit a tad expensive like everything in Newman). But it was a highly amusing evening. I think it is the only time I have eaten Chinese out and not been able to get chopsticks and was served chinese tea in coffee mugs!!

This lovely meal was supplemented by some extra protein consumed today and was followed by a trip to the Purple Pub AKA Animal Bar. It was more mellow than expected. One of the boys consumed a beverage by the name of Emu Bitter (I wasn't game) and Chookie had an amusing experience trying to find the mens room. Three different guys sent him on a wild goose chase which landed him standing outside of the ladies!

--
Fly Count: 4

No comments: