Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mission Day 6 - Guns and Girls

Wednesday of mission and we are past the midpoint.

The Bishop came and spent the morning with us. He talked to the team about ministry in the North West. I can see the desperate need for people to minister in the diocese of North West Western Australia. I also see how there is very little chance that it would be someone like me who would be the one to go there. I can see the need, but I also learned that 90% of churches cannot even afford a minister, let alone think about putting a woman on staff. Their are places for co-workers or tent makers, but seeing as I don't have a teaching degree or such, it is unlikely that there would ever be a need for someone like me. (although Big Bazza was trying to convince me that he could get me a job in the mine given my previous history of working in education and training of apprentices)

All in all, a an educational morning.
We spent the rest of the day either in prep for the high school seminar the next day, or the primary club that arvo.
I spent the arvo giving out helium balloons at the shopping centre (the shopping centre consisted of a woolies, rockmans, chemist and a chinese takeaway!) and talking to people. It's amazing how many big burly mining men were willing to take a helium balloon and have a chat. It was heaps of fun, and I got to invite lots of them to the shooting later on the day.

So right on dusk half the team headed out to the gun club (on Gun Club Road) and went clay target pigeon shooting.

It was a heap of fun. My instructor told me I was a natural with a shotgun. I don't know whether that is something I should be pleased or disturbed about.

5 comments:

Georgina said...

Yes, it's kind of empowering and kind of creepy at the same time!

Nice actually meeting you too!!

byron smith said...

Maybe we should try that as an outreach activity in Leichhardt - I'll suggest it to my rector... :-)

-bw said...

words don't do justice to the fun that was had. the exhilaration, the smell of gun powder, the thrill of hitting moving targets, and of course the joy in hitting more targets than some boys!! ;)

it left me wanting to join a gun club next year (when there is some chance that i could afford it!)

ang said...

stop playing with the rubix cube ( which was invented by a hungarian by the way) and update your blog! i need more of mission

-bw said...

ok ok, am writing a post now!