Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mission Day 3 - Sunday Services



I was rebuked!
I have been involved in music at church for years. And I have always felt the tension between wanting it to sound good and realising that it isn't a performance.

Don't get me wrong. I do think that we should always strive to do our best in what ever way we are serving God, but there is also a point which can be stepped over when it comes to shifting the focus away from glorifying God and onto ourselves.

Basically some of us joined with some people at the church and we helped out with the music on Sunday morning. At the time I thought it sounded ok, but not particularly extraordinary. So when I overheard several people comment on how fab the music was after the service I was rebuked about my attitude toward music.

I love singing and making music, and it has been a great encouragement to me to be reminded again about the focus that music (and anything we do at church) should have.

So Sunday morning was a rebuke and Sunday evening was an eye-opener.

Sunday evening we went to the Martu church. There are two main Indigenous people groups who live locally and the Martu (pronounced Mardu) are one of those two groups. Talking with some of the Martu people over the week were certainly one of the highlights of this mission trip.

Martu church was very different to any church service that I have been to in Sydney to say the least!!(singing time at the Martu Church - the smoke at the top of the pic is from the BBQ which was fired up just behind me)

I had some great conversations with some of the kids and while many of the adults didn't open up that night, being there was an opener for when I saw them later in the week.

The people who are ministering in Newman are doing an amazing job. I praise God for BCA and their commitment to sending people out to preach the good news about Jesus.

No comments: