Tuesday, December 19, 2006

transcripts and averages

Many of you will be aware that I have been placing just a little pressure on myself regarding my end of year results.
After discovering that I had passed all my subjects, my next all important question was "what is my average?"
Hence begins the story of 3 academic transcripts for 2006 and 3 different averages.

Academic Transcript 1 - my average was 0.07 lower than last year. Not particularly fab, but once I had gotten over the annoyance, I realised that I was not really in any worse a position than last year. And considering that I had picked up Hebrew 1A this year, I think that it was a pretty good effort.

Academic Transcript 2 - I got an email from the registrar to the effect that there had been some mix up with Hebrew 1A results and we would get a new transcript. This was not particularly a big deal for me as I haven't sat the Hebrew final exam yet (Jan 22nd). So I didn't think that it would affect my average. Especially as Hebrew was an extra from my 3rd year subjects. But I got the new transcript in my pigeon hole today which indicated that my average had dropped another 3 marks.
But that is ok. I kinda figured that as long as I got 75% or above for the final exam, then my average should jump 5 marks or so. (I just wonder if 75% is wishful thinking)

Academic Transcript 3 - Just a few short hours ago, I got another email from the registrar to the effect that there had been another error with the calculation of Hebrew 1A results and that the overall averages were lower than what they should have been. I await this new transcript, and wonder if it will affect my average at all seeing as my mark for Hebrew sits on around 26% until I do the 70% exam.

We shall wait and see.

In other news, the packing is going ok. I have been kept busy and wonder where time vanishes.

3 comments:

JT said...

i wonder if they're working out your averge based on the 26% for hebrew? I wouldn't worry until you get your '4th transcript' after you've done your exam. It's all speculation until then anyway. :)

Would you reccommend doing Heb in 3rd year?

-bw said...

Hey JT,

I would recommend doing Heebs in 3rd year. I've loved it.
It did take time away from my 3rd year subjects, but I have found that it has given me an even greater appreciation for both greek and hebrew. I used it in translating my sermon for chick's chapel this year and found it a delight.

One of the main reasons that I chose to do hebrew in 3rd year was that I wanted to do 1A and have the option of continuing and auditing 2nd year hebrew during my 4th year studies. (that and if I failed, I could give it another shot in 4th year)

The down side, is that there is often timetable clashes, which meant that I often felt out of my depth in the classes that I could attend.

I decided from the beginning that my 3rd year subjects would be my priority, and if any of them looked dangerously like failing, then I would drop hebrew. I also decided that even if I failed hebrew, I wouldn't view it as a failure as all I was doing was giving it a shot!

I'm happy to talk more with you about it if you like.

byron smith said...

Sounds like someone been having some headaches over Hebrew marking...