Wednesday, September 26, 2007

end of an era

While I am bunkered away, lost and buried in my own concerns about getting this project done, life goes on.

14 years ago I went on a car trip with my mother. In the outer suburbs of Sydney we bought and brought home a Jack Russel cross. At the sweet tender age of 14, I had convinced my parents that it would be a good idea for me to buy a dog for my family for Christmas.

Wood-Dog is sick. He had a pretty major operation a couple of weeks ago to remove the cancer in his leg, but the vet thinks that it had already spread to his liver and other internal organs.
That's one of the things that I've found the hardest about coming to college - leaving my pets in the care of my family. While I was able to bring my fish Moe and Joe, poor Wood-Dog has to stay at my parents house.
Mum rang to tell me that he had taken a turn for the worst. It was family roast night, so she prepared a mini-roast for him. He rallied enough to eat his roast, but things aren't looking all that good.

I just hope he doesn't die before I get back to say goodbye.

Wood-Dog, while you look like a Dingo, you've been a good pup. I'll miss ya.

No comments: