Sunday, November 30, 2008

stop and smell the roses

Lately I've been wondering why we rush. Earlier this year as part of the Year 13 program, we went on a defensive driving course. We saw first hand the difference that driving 10km faster can make- and it's a big difference when you have an accident. Since then, I've been trying not to rush places. I'm generally an on-time person, in fact I hate being late. So when I am running late, it is easy for me to rush rush rush. But is it really worth it?
So now when I catch myself getting impatient at slow service from a sales assistant, or if someone looks harried, I remind myself - what's the rush? Why not let them go first?
After all, why not stop and smell the roses. Why not enjoy and savor that last mouthful of coffee. Why not get up slightly earlier so that I'm not rushed. And why not stop and take the time to have decent conversations with people instead of thinking that I need to be somewhere else....

1 comment:

Geli said...

wow! and I thought it was folk in London (UK) who were on an aggressive fast pace, especially in the 'rush hour', rather than Australia.

Maybe it also has something to do with age, but I really now enjoy savoring life and beautiful moments, and learn to create memories rather than pick up memories as they occur.

God bless!